Have you lost your Social Security Card, or has it been stolen? Don’t worry, in this article we will explain how to get a free ss card replacement and the steps to follow.
In addition, from ssaoffice.net we will tell you all the details that you must take into account to get a free ss card replacement, since there are several rules that you will have to follow to successfully achieve this replacement.
How to get a free ss card replacement
To get a free ss card replacement you should know that it is your duty to present the necessary documentation to prove that you are a US citizen, in addition to confirming your identity.
There are several documents that will help you to submit the application, such as a U.S. passport, which will serve as proof of identity and citizenship.
In the following sections, we will tell you about the methods available to you to get a free ss card replacement, and the documentation needed to successfully complete this application.
IMPORTANT: The documents submitted must be originals or certified copies, as the social security office will reject any notarized copies of documents, photocopies or temporary documentation.
Documents for your Social Security card application
Before we tell you the 3 methods by which you can get a free ss card replacement, we will detail the documentation that can serve as proof of three pieces of information: age, identity and citizenship.
These documents, as mentioned above, must be originals or certified copies, otherwise your application will be rejected.
IMPORTANT: You must present only one document from each category, or, failing that, one document that covers all categories (such as the passport).
Please see below each document according to these three categories.
– U.S. birth certificate or foreign birth certificate.
– If you do not have a U.S. birth certificate, you may submit:
- Birth record from the U.S. birth hospital.
- Religious record with the date of birth, which was made before the age of 5.
- S. passport.
– U.S. citizens born abroad may present:
- Current or previous passport.
- Employment or school records.
- Any other document proving long-term residence outside the United States.
- State identification
- S. driver’s license.
- S. passport.
- If you do not possess any of the above, you may present any of the following documents:
– Student ID.
– Health insurance card.
– Employee ID.
– Military ID.
IMPORTANT: Any of these documents must contain a photo.
- S. Passport.
- S. birth certificate.
- For Americans born abroad, you may present:
– Certificate of Report of Birth.
– Certificate of Citizenship.
– Certificate of Naturalization.
– Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
3 methods to get a free ss card replacement
1) Mail in your application
To send an application by mail, you must keep in mind that copies of eligible documents are not accepted. Here are the simple steps for you to mail in your application.
- Go to this link to download the official application for a Social Security Card.
- Complete the downloaded form with your Social Security Number.
- Gather all the information and documentation requested.
- Mail the collected paperwork to the Social Security Administration (SSA) office.
To find out which offices you can send this document to, you can log in to our website and select your state. There you will see every detail about each office, from the office hours to the address, where you should send the mail with the application and the required documentation.
2) Visit an SSA office
This method is the most direct and, although it is not the fastest, it is much safer and will give you peace of mind when you personally bring all the required documentation to get a free ss card replacement.
This is why this method is considered the best and most efficient, since you do not have to worry about sending your personal and confidential information, since you will hand deliver it directly to the SSA office.
Before going to the office, you must make an appointment, and you must follow these steps so that when you bring the documentation, everything is in order.
- Print the application to get a free ss card replacement by clicking here.
- Complete each box with the requested information. Have your SSN ready to fill out the form.
- Gather all requested documentation to take to the SSA office.
- At the time of your appointment, remember to arrive on time and do not forget any documents, otherwise you may miss your appointment and leave empty-handed.
3) Submit your application online
To get a free ss card replacement you have the option to apply online. This is the fastest and most convenient way, since you can do it from the comfort of your home and with only a device with an internet connection.
Below, we will tell you how to submit all your documents online.
- Log in to your SSA account, or create a new one if you have not done it before. Just access this link and set up your account with the current and updated information.
- Log in to your account with the information you provided during registration.
- Submit the new Social Security card application through “My Social Security”.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often can I get a free ss card replacement?
If you want to get a free ss card replacement, you have the possibility to apply for 3 replacement cards in one year. However, you can only apply for 10 cards in your lifetime.
However, it depends on the applicant’s situation, as there are changes that are not counted in this number, such as legal name changes, or immigration status updates, among other exceptions.
How long does it take to receive my replacement card?
In general, the replacement card may take up to 10 business days after the application is filed. In the meantime, you can request a temporary copy of the card at the SSA office nearest you.